MOVE! GROOVE! CONNECT! Berkeley’s Original Ecstatic Dance!
- 8:30 – 9:15 :: Soma-Yoga-Sojourn in Main Room
- 9:15 – 9:20 :: Brief Welcome Circle w/ Three Oms
- 9:20 – 11:00 :: Ecstatic Dance in the Main Room
- 9:20 – 11:30 :: Somatic Soiree in the Warm Space
You’ve found the West Coast’s longest-running community dance!
Grooving every week since 1976 with a long line of various community leaders carrying the torch. There’s no steps to learn, no dress code to adhere to, just freedom to move and play in the sound! Our main floor is the only all-vinyl ecstatic dance event in the USA!
Dance Jam is where we come together every Friday night to create a warm and inviting space where you are free to stretch out, loosen up, and release the week’s energies with somatic expression and community connection.
We strive to create an atmosphere where you’ll feel comfortable and accepted, regardless of age, culture, gender, or persuasion. We believe in a diverse appreciation of music, and in providing high-fidelity sound at healthy volume levels. Our goal is to offer a social environment where you are free to connect and be playful with others, while having your personal boundaries respected in whatever manner you choose at all times. We feel that the generations have a lot to offer each other, and that dance and movement are consciousness-raising ways to communicate.
WHAT TO EXPECT:
- Super soft and somatic sounds on the main floor from 8:30 to 9:15
- Brief standing welcome circle from 9:15 – 9:20
- Upbeat All-Vinyl Ecstatic Dance in Main Room 9:20 – 11:00
- Downtempo Somatic Soiree in Warm Space 9:20 – 11:30
- Main Floor = 2000 sq ft studio with a polished & sprung bamboo floor.
- Warm Space = 1000 sq ft studio with sprung hardwood floor.
- There is a comfortable chill/lounge area to the rear of the dance floor.
- Filtered drinking water and earplugs are provided in the lobby.
- Audiophile 100% analog non-digital sound system in Main Room
- Street shoes or hard-soled footwear are not allowed on the bamboo floor. Leather-soled slippers are welcome, please check in with door staff.
- Brief words of gratitude or permission only on the floor please.
We encourage you to make friends and socialize, but ask that actual conversations are better had in the lobby or the chill area.
- Please avoid wearing perfume, cologne, or other noticable scents from laundry or personal-care products.
- Awareness of physical boundaries is a must! Invitations for contact or partner dance are welcomed and encouraged, however the desire for solo movement and expression must be respected at all times.
- Dance Jam is every Friday night from 8:30 to 11:30pm
- 2525 8th St. (at Dwight) West Berkeley
- Suggested Donation $20.
- Sliding Scale for Students/Seniors/Artists
- First-time? Pay what you like and receive a FREE PASS for another dance!
- We offer scholarships and an ambassador program.
- We accept debit/credit cards or personal checks.
- 10 Pack = $120
- 5 Pack = $70
- 3 Pack = $50